People have used jewelry boxes since the advent of civilization. Jewelry boxes were not only used to store their jewelry but also anything that was considered priceless. Hence, these boxes have evolved over centuries to become what they are today.
Every one wants to own some unique jewelry boxes, which reflect their tastes, desires and personality. Different makers use different materials to make such unique jewelry boxes. These include leather and wood which are mainly used.
Generally, the definition of a jewelry box is a container which has dimensions up to 14 inches. These kinds of jewelry boxes can be used to keep your jewelry at the bedside or on the dresser or even in a safe.
To keep more jewelry, people use jewelry chests. Generally these chests are cherished heirlooms which are passed from one generation to the other. They are as beautiful as the jewelry they contain and are available in different finishes like maple, cherry, mahogany and burl wood. They are bigger than 12 inches and generally can be locked with a key. They may even have luxurious lining of satin, silk or velvet. There are different varieties of jewelry chests available in the market these days. The more plush the lining, the more intricate the carving, the more the price of the chest.
However, with the kind of variety flooding the market, it’s easy to get confused about the kind of jewelry box you want to buy. Whether you are a woman who wants to buy her own unique jewelry box or a man who wants to gift something different to his girl, here are some pointers to help you make a choice.
1. A cheap jewelry box is not only an unsafe option but also not good for your jewelry. Generally these kinds of boxes have very flimsy or cheap lining which tarnish your jewelry.
2. For precious stones and jewelry you can choose a wooden jewelry box with a lot of compartments so that your pieces don’t rub against each other. Make sure that it has a plush lining.
3. If you are looking for a jewelry box for your teen, then you can choose a smaller size made of ceramic or glass.
4. If you have a large collection which comprises of a lot of necklaces then you can choose something with a lot of big open compartments and a few small pockets for smaller pieces like rings and earrings.
5. Don’t try to match your jewelry box with your furniture. Sounds strange, but many people actually do it with the wood jewelry boxes. There is a difference between jewelry armoires and boxes. You don’t want something which can blend into the back ground. It should be able to stand on its own and be noticed for its intrinsic artwork and beauty.
6. Last but not the least, once you have selected your piece amongst those thousands of unique jewelry boxes and if you want to gift it to some one, then giving it empty doesn’t look good. Buy a small piece of jewelry and gift it with the box. It’s sure to make a good impression on your girl!